Sunday, May 10, 2009

I am having a difficult time focusing on anything other than the show right now, which is not good since I still have some work to finish up for one of my classes.

I have noticed a curious side effect of my residency - I am having a difficult time writing anything other than my blog entries (which are focused on the residency projects right now). It is very strange, but I think it's a function of focusing on thinking visually for the past four months. It's almost like my brain has forgotten how to process thought as words rather than image. I will be very happy to get back to my writer brain after this coming weekend. But it is creating some problems as I need to write text for the show and I need to write this paper for class.

One of the many things that has been interesting to me over the past four months is the fact that working visually does not have the same effect on me that writing does. I can write six or eight hours a day and end up feeling totally energized, ready to take on the world. Six hours in the container, and I am dead, exhausted, my brain is mush. I don't' think it's a difference in focus. When I was at our friends' cabin, I was completely focused on writing and writing for six hours solid, completely enveloped by my characters and story.

My interpretation of this is that, while I am a talented visual artist, my true medium is writing. Something I knew, but it was nice to have this chance to try out the visual medium. I have always had a sneaking suspicion that I might have been a visual artist - I've always done visual work with paints and photography. It's a little like wondering if you're gay, I think. You don't really know until you try it out and see if it feels right. Well. I've tried walking on the other side of the tracks. I think I've been walking the correct path all along. The good thing is that I have this other medium to work in. I am looking forward to finding out how this experiment has affected my writing once I get back to it full time.

No comments: