Thursday, May 21, 2009

I have decided I am not the kind of person who can take time off after completing a big project. It just doesn't work for me. I take off a day or two and suddenly a week has gone by and I have gotten nothing NOTHING done. And, further more, I am not motivated to get anything done AT ALL. This happens to me more often than not. I tell myself that after a major project is over, the draft, the show, the semester, I'll take a couple of days off and then, feeling refreshed, I'll get back to work. WRONG. WRONG. WRONG. I get lazy. I goof off. I spend way too much time on Facebook taking too many quizzes. And now, the final indication that Things Have Gone Too Far...I am thinking about re-reading the Harry Potter series.

Noooooooooooo!

Don't get me wrong. I still love Harry Potter and am eagerly awaiting the sixth movie. But I can't go back to reading it. It's not good for me. I fall headlong into the wizarding world and don't want to come back out. It's comfortable there. It's wonderful and perfect and all the plot problems have been worked out and the characters are vivid and complex and feel like people. As opposed to the worlds of my own creation which are lumpy and imperfect and I see all the flaws and everything that still needs to be worked on. Harry Potter is just such a better place to live than my own stories.

So, I'll take it as a warning that it's time to get back to work. Enough loafing. Enough checking Facebook and Twitter every five minutes. Time to write.

No comments: